[lbo-talk] What's wrong with this picture?

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon May 5 21:19:20 PDT 2003

I swear to god, I just saw my gas stove on the Antiques Road Show!

Mine is slightly older (1929-32 ca) and probably a cheaper model. The differences are that mine has drop handles, a plain oven value, open cast iron grill work rather than a flat iron top and black painted legs rather than the nicer looking enameled legs.

The auctioneer valued the stove on the show at 800-1200.

It is strange to say I love this stove. It is absolute simplicity. The thing is bolted together from painted and enameled sheet steel. The burners, gas values, and grill are sand cast iron. If you want to know the temperature in the oven, you hang a little oven temperature gauge off one of the racks, open the door and look it.

If you want to light the oven you strike a match, turn on the gas, stick your arm inside and wait for the explosion. I usually have very little hair on right my arm. Hmm.

Chuck Grimes