[lbo-talk] Re: Philosphical Gourmet

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Tue May 6 10:36:05 PDT 2003

At 07:26 PM 05/05/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Philosophers ought to be concerned when their field is misrepresented in
>the media: why should the public be led to believe that non-philosophers
>like Strauss and Fukuyama, or failed philosophers like William Bennett,
>represent our field? (As Burnyeat put it: "There is much talk in
>Straussian writings about the nature of 'the philosopher' but no sign of
>any knowledge, from the inside, of what it is to be actively involved in
>philosophy.")

I grant that Strauss is beyond the pale, but given how the university is organized there are lots of idiots/charlatans that get big play. To think that academia is especially discriminating in who it lets in and who it keeps out is silly. But Chuck Grimes has accused me of sour grapes for making comments like these, so I'll stop.

Joanna