[lbo-talk] Re: FW: Philosophical Gourmet on Strauss

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue May 6 11:40:22 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Johanning" <jjohanning at igc.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 2:37 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: FW: Philosophical Gourmet on Strauss

> As an ex-asst.-prof-of-philosophy, I heartily agree. The Straussians,
> English-department pomos, etc., are not great shakes as philosophers.
> But the problem as I see it is that real philosophy is awfully hard for
> the general public, who have not had the necessary training, to
> understand, and that includes even more or less educated folks like
> writers in the New York Times. Let's face it -- who takes philosophy
> courses in college unless they're forced to, and how many even of the
> students who take them, except for the philosophy majors, really
> understand what the prof is trying to impart?

About half of my (non-major) friends have taken a philosophy course of their own volition. One and done, though: once they took intro, that was enough.

-- Luke