[lbo-talk] Re: ______ and America

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 6 12:29:50 PDT 2003

joanna bujes wrote:

> Well, alas, a lot of this is true. This is because he is a East European
> intellectual and there's a lot of elitism that comes along with that. But,
> this is not to say that American unconsciousness is not a problem.

I think speaking of the world in terms of "problems" tends to make politics sound like arithmetic, presenting "problems" to solve. I prefer to simply look at such things as the conditions within which we work -- expressed to perfection in by Marx: "Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past"

I would suggest as a tonic here the chapters in _Fanshen_ in which Hinton details the frustration felt by the CPC group in Longbow at their inability to get any of the peasants to stand up in an open meeting and give evidence of the injuries they had suffered.

Carrol