[lbo-talk] Re: Philosophical Gourmet

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 6 15:26:03 PDT 2003

I don't quite know how it works, but I doubt that there's a department in the land that doesn't have one or two real dim bulbs. In an aside in a discussion in Critical Inquiry some years ago the writer (I believe a Harvard professor) said that in the 1930s the head of the English Department at Harvard was little known, even among members of his department.

When I was at Michigan they had at least three full professors in the English Department who could only be described as intellectually embarassing. I'm sure there must be two or three of similar calibre tucked away here and there at Berkeley, or any other university.

With an overproduction of Ph.D.s, in theory appointment committees have a wider choice, and to some extent it works that way. I suspect it also results in getting too involved in complex choices and coming up with losers.

Carrol