[lbo-talk] Re: Cuba Petition

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue May 6 16:06:01 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "BradHatch" <bradhatch3 at earthlink.net>
>I'm also curious as to why so many on the left want to buy into the
>rightwings distorted view of human rights. Is Cuba's human rights record so
>much worse than the other countries in the region? Why put so much scrutiny
>into the jailing of every dissident in Cuba when Columbia has the worst
>record of murdered journalists and Union organizers? Or overlooking Mexicos
>human rights record in Chiapis?

First, what are you talking about? Human rights activists and unions have been screaming about the murder of Columbian unionists as one of their top issues for a number of years. And Chiapas has been a top item among left activists since 1994. Cuba is not worse in jailing so many dissidents than Columbia, but it should be condemned just as we condemn the murder of Columbian unionists.

-- Nathan Newman