[lbo-talk] Re: ______ and America

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 6 18:17:19 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >Isn't it stereotypically American not to want to learn from
> >experiences of the past and/or other nations?
>
> It's stereotypically Leftist - with a capital L - to keep drawing
> examples from the same two or three revolutions rather than think
> about the here and now.

This is weird. Doug is babbling utter nonsense, and he must know he is. The statement about "The Left" is a simple lie which he could not come close to supporting.

Surely by the time someone as bright as Doug has finished 12th grade english he has learned how to abstract from different circumstances to a shared element. Now he wants us to fragment the world into an infinite number of free-floating molecules and refuse to consider any thought which tries to focus on the single molecule in front of us.

In any case, it is Doug who loves to talk about Platonic will-o-the-wisps such as an abstract Desire disconnected from and irrelevant to the daily needs and desires of actual human beings. I don't know how to reconcile his fundamental puritanical platonism with this sudden plunge into the most grimly determined mindlessness.

Carrol