[lbo-talk] Reports: Neo-cons manipulated evidence on WMDs

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed May 7 03:41:56 PDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Chris Kromm wrote:

> New York Times and New Yorker both have good items on The Big Lie.

You only posted the New Yorker and London Times articles. Here's the link to Kristoff's NYT article:

http://tinyurl.com/b6kd

which, like Hersh, depends entirely on Seth Ackerman's tireless work in getting this story out, which no one would touch before the war.

I guess this is the old familiar pattern. It's perfectly all right to document government lies in detail -- after it's too late to stop anything.

But to be honest, this is *much* less of a time lag than we've usually gotten in recent history. The truth about the massacred nuns in El Salvador was only treated as fact in the New York Times about 10 years after the fact. Now it's only a couple of months.

And who knows? Maybe if it becomes the accepted wisdom that it was all lies, lies lies they'll have a harder time repeating the act in 12 months.

Michael

============= "I'm an optimist because it's intellectually more challenging"