[lbo-talk] Re: Neocons explained

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Wed May 7 15:04:35 PDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003 12:04:02 -0700 (PDT) Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote

Chuck
>So the concise definition is neoconservativism is the identity politics
>of middle american white men.

Doug
> But the necons are intellectual elitists.

Chuck

> They're intellectual elitists only according to the legend of their
> own minds. And ignoring that part the moment, of course they consider
> themselves an elite, the proper rulers of the dark hordes. In fact
> since none of their ideology makes any rational sense, just consider
> it in its psycho-social aspect, something like intellectual sex appeal
> for small dicks and small minds.

But - *middle* American white men? Do you mean middle class - lawyers, doctors, tenured professors at Ivy league colleges and such? Or are you using "middle" colloquially - to include carpenters , bank clerks, store managers, and basically any worker who is not actually poor? I'm pretty sure you mean to former not the latter - but I just want to be sure.

In my introductory political science courses I was taught that "neo" though technically meaning new, actually simply meant more conservative. Neo-liberals were more conservative than classic liberals. Neo-conservatives were more conservative than classic conservatives.