[lbo-talk] Taliban appears to be regrouped and well-funded

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Thu May 8 07:58:10 PDT 2003

On 9/5/2003 12:14 AM, "lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org" <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> wrote:

> From: "Chris Doss" <itschris13 at hotmail.com>
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 10:12:12 -0400
> Subject: [lbo-talk] Taliban appears to be regrouped and well-funded
>

> http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0508/p01s02-wosc.html

I am rather surprised at how quickly the US seems to have gotten bored of its Afghan toy. I expected at least some kind of token effort to develop the country and forestall just this sort of - entirely predictable - problem. Do you think that the Russians will be proven right in their forecasts of doom and withdrawal for the US forces? Is the US coming up against the usual "asymmetry of interest" problem of asymmetric warfare - ie. that the Afghans are much more interested in getting rid of us than we are in keeping them?

Thiago