[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Thu May 8 13:59:36 PDT 2003

At 01:10 PM 05/08/2003 -0700, Brad quoting Adam Smith wrote:
>"It is the misfortunes of Kings only which afford the proper subjects
>for tragedy. They resemble, in this respect, the misfortunes of
>lovers. Those two situations are the chief which interest us upon the
>theatre; because, in spite of all that reason and experience can tell
>us to the contrary, the prejudices of the imagination attach to these
>two states a happiness superior to any other. To disturb, or to put
>an end to such perfect enjoyment, seems to be the most atrocious of
>all injuries. The traitor who conspires against the life of his
>monarch, is thought a greater monster than any other murderer. All
>the innocent blood that was shed in the civil wars, provoked less
>indignation than the death of Charles I.

I think the reason Kings get to be main characters in tragedy is because they best exemplify the paradox of the "unfettered/free" man. It is difficult to write a drama about people who live at the command of others. As for those mourning the death of Charles the 1st, I think Smith is speaking for his class.

>"A stranger to human nature, who saw the indifference of men about
>the misery of their inferiors, and the regret and indignation which
>they feel for the misfortunes and sufferings of those above them,
>would be apt to imagine, that pain must be more agonizing, and the
>convulsions of death more terrible to persons of higher rank, than to
>those of meaner stations."

I don't know about this either. It certainly doesn't describe my feelings.

Joanna