[lbo-talk] Diana

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri May 9 06:10:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Carrol Cox wrote:

> There was an article either in LRB or NLR demonstrating that the
> outpouring of grief for Diana was mostly media-created and not
> participated in by a large proportion of the citizenry.

I beg to differ. The initial media reaction was scornful, and fury against the media for its callousness towards her was one of the leitmotifs of the popular reaction, alongside fury at the royals and the Anglican Church for their similar initial reactions.

As for the proportion of the population involved, believe me, I was in London at the time, and extent of the popular involvement was remarkable and palpable. It was no more media created than the reaction to 9/11.

I wrote an article at the time about the meaning of the reaction to Diana's death that I'll be glad to send to anyone who is interested.

Michael