[lbo-talk] Hirohito, TV, & Video Rental Stores (was Re: Fidel)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 06:34:41 PDT 2003

>When Hirohito (the Showa Emperor & war criminal) died in 1989, all the TV
>stations in Japan went "All Hirohito, All the Time." A tiny minority of
>Japanese participated in the media spectacle. In the mean time, video
>rental stores did a booming business, with Japanese who got fed up with the
>saturation coverage of Hirohito flocking to the stores to get something,
>anything, other than Hirohito to watch.
>--
>Yoshie

The announcement of the death of the Father of the Peoples was met by jubilation by about 10% of the population and the overwhelming shock, grief and disbelief of the rest. God had died. Heck, I have friends who cried when Brezhnev died: "What will we do without the guarantor of peace?"

_________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail