[lbo-talk] Peroration

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 07:28:50 PDT 2003

Chris Doss <itschris13 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Happy Victory Day, by the way. The anniversary of wiping the floor with the fascists. * * *

If I recollect, this was literally true, in the sense that a big parade was held in Red Square in which Soviet regiments marched over the captured banners, dragged on ground, of Nazi regiments. Or was that the following May Day?

Here's a quote from The Man With The Pipe (as Norman Mailer called him in Barbary Shore), actually offered without irony: in his first speech after the Nazi attack of June 21, 1941, speaking laboriously slowly and drinking frequently from a water glass, he concluded with the peroration: Our cause is just! We shall prevail! And despite nightmarishly awful leadership, and in far darker circumstances and with higher stakes, than ours, they did.

So: to the victors of May 9, Soviet and American! Our cause is just! We shall be prevail!

jks