[lbo-talk] Questions

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Tue May 13 00:30:50 PDT 2003

Seems pretty impossible to estimate. Besides direct inheritance or appreciation, there is the matter of what one might call the "launching pad" of wealth. For example, if I recall correctly, John D. Rockefeller, Sr. came from a substantial farming and grain-dealing family going back two or three generations, so in a sense even his wealth (or that of Bill Gates) has an aroma of inheritance about it.

Carrol --- Interestingly, as the interview I just posted pointed out, and contrary to Western stereotypes, the Russian oligarchs were not well-positioned chinobniki in the Soviet era. They were mostly nondescript Lumpens.