[lbo-talk] Fidel drops in

Lance Murdoch lbotalk at lancemurdoch.org
Tue May 13 10:07:02 PDT 2003

England dealt with the IRA freedom fighters "without the sort of repressive legislation and adminstrative action that Ashcroft has unloosed with the consent Congress"? Does that include the 13 civilians killed by British paramilitaries on January 30th, 1972? And what were those people marching against? Internment - on August 9th, 1971, the government began arresting and indefinitely detaining people without trial for the mere suspicion that they belonged to a paramilitary group - by the year 1975 there had been 1981 people so detained, many of them who had not been connected to any paramilitary groups in any context. As bad as the US's current internment is, it's of foreign-born people in the US - not native-born people who are being interned because they want the right of self-determination. John McGuffin, an anarchist who was the only person of a Protestant background who was locked up when internment was initially implemented, wrote a book called "The Guineapigs" about the fourteen Irish political prisoners the British Army used to experiment with modern torture techniques on.

There certainly was repressive legislation and administrative action used by England with dealing with the IRA (and with any Irish republican for that matter). Also, I would disagree with the idea that Franco did not use repressive legislation and administrative action to deal with the ETA. I'm not thoroughly familiar with the ETA/Aznar situation currently, Aznar might be less repressive than Franco, but that is relative, meaning Aznar only looks good when compared to Franco.

-- Lance