[lbo-talk] fat and class

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed May 14 16:36:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yeah, me too. It says I'm 27 - overweight - and I go to the gym 5 times
> a week. There's not much fat on me anymore. I think I've got a high
> specific gravity, which would confuse the index. Who made up this thing?

You're actually a great example, because you've gone through a very obvious improvement over the last 6 years -- exactly the kind of improvement exercise and diet is supposed to bring about it, from out of shape to in shape -- and yet it doesn't show up on this scale at all. If we generalize from your example, the scale seems incapable of detecting exactly the improvements it is supposed to catch.

Michael