[lbo-talk] Lula purges PT

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 14 18:05:32 PDT 2003

Financial Times - May 14, 2003

THE AMERICAS: Lula's party moves to expel reform opponents By Raymond Colitt in Sao Paulo

President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva's Workers' party (PT) has taken the first step towards expelling leftwing dissidents in an effort to isolate opposition to the government's controversial reform plans.

The PT's ethics commission put on trial three legislators in Congress who staged public protests against the government's pension and tax reforms. With their refusal yes-terday to retract, they now face expulsion from the party.

Though the dissidents are only a small minority, their vociferous, high-profile criticism has proved an embarrassment to the government.

The decision to crack down on internal dissidents is seen as an effort by the government to prevent opposition growing, not only within the PT but also within its loose congressional alliance, needed to support pension and tax reforms.

"If you cannot align your own party members, how can you demand loyalty from your allies," said Christopher Garman, a political consultant in São Paulo. "The government needed to show their guns early in the game or risk growing opposition."

"We have the obligation to assure the viability of this government," said José Genoino, PT president. "The comrades went too far. .. They engaged in systematic opposition."

In line with the party's tradition, Mr Genoino said legislators were free to criticise and debate as much as they wanted but needed to vote with the party's majority.

Three other PT lawmakers, who signalled they could support the reforms in spite of their criticism, were spared disciplinary procedures.

The rift between a minority of hardliners and the more market-friendly moderates in government has deepened since the PT accelerated its move toward the political centre after taking power in January.

The government has not only adopted orthodox economic policies the PT used to criticise but is now moving to cut pensions benefits of civil servants, among its core supporters.

"We cannot accept pleasing new allies to break with our old allies," said Luciano Genro, a PT deputy in the lower house, who staged protests with labour unions against the reforms.

Heloisa Helena, senator and PT member for 23 years, had threatened to sue the government and sought to form a common opposition front with the leader of a leftwing party in the government coalition.

João Batista de Araujo, the third radical, said: "We are being used as an example to show international investors the government can approve the reforms they want."

But other government critics within the party disagree.

"It's not what but how they criticised. They've adopted individualist positions and my first priority is to defend the party," said Marlene da Rocha, member of the executive committee.

The vast majority of the PT is likely to vote in favour of the government's reforms, most analysts agree. Party leaders yesterday sought to play down difficulties.

"Such heated debates are part of our tradition, only now they are in the public spotlight," said Valter Pomar, PT vice-president. "We've had much worse, including several expulsions, and always came out of it a stronger party."