[lbo-talk] Re: Podhoretz on Ginsberg

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri May 16 08:53:55 PDT 2003

Is this a coy reference to Ginsberg's rather, um, "direct" poem, "Please Master"?

<http://public.aci.on.ca/~vip1104/ignorant/epitaphs/ginsberg/ag-1.html>

No, not really, but there is a relation. It comes from the Tenth Duino Elegy:

And we, who have always thought of happiness climbing, would feel the emotion that almost startles when happiness falls.

The reference is probably a mistake. But it relates the idea that the aesthetic soul's fulfillment may not be in its ascension, but its fall in an age like ours.

So I thought of trivializing this to apply to Podhoretz as a man who discovered his true source of happiness was in being despised. That his revolt was to become a conformist and his fulfillment to celebrate a martyrdom of the banal.

But I like your reference better:

Master drive it down till it hurts me the softness the Softness please master make love to my ass, give body to center

& fuck me for good like a girl..

Chuck Grimes