[lbo-talk] CW in Matrix

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri May 16 20:04:38 PDT 2003

I'd never heard of Cornell West before this discussion; I have to say I don't find his association with Al Sharpton very encouraging...

"Sketches of a Scholar: A Q&A With Cornel West"

By Jessica Green

"BET.com - You're advising Al Sharpton now, right? Where do you see him going in the future? What role do you see him playing in politics?

CW - I'm serving on his advisory committee. Well, he's already playing a very progressive role in terms of raising issues of the criminal justice system. The prison industrial complex. Wealth and inequality. Corporate globalization. American politics don't really wrestle with these things. But we'll have to see whether he runs (for president). I mean we're in the exploratory phase right now. We're studying it to see."

http://www.bet.com/articles/0,,c1gb1288pg2-1948,00.html