[lbo-talk] June Carter Cash RIP

N P Childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Sat May 17 13:33:12 PDT 2003

>Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] June Carter Cash RIP
>
>Dennis Perrin wrote:
>
> >R:
> >
> >"how did you stomach [the Cashes'] religiosity?"
> >
> >Didn't bother me -- in Johnny Cash's case it saved his life and
> >helped to free him of a crippling pill addiction.
> >

>Yeah. How far do you want to take this?

I defy anyone with a shred of soul (however you define it, secular, sacred, psychological artifact) not to be moved by the Allison Krauss version of 'Down to the River' in 'O Bother...'.

Channel surfing last night and caught the video for Cash's version of the NIN song 'Hurt' on CMT (I suspect they have no idea what NIN or who Trent Reznor is), with June in it, powerful stuff, and probably the closet you'll get to seeing into JC's ravaged soul.

Last, to echo the comments above, check out the lyrics to 'Man in Black';

http://maninblack.net/lyrics/MAN%20IN%20BLACK.htm

from 1971 and ask yourself if any of the flag waving chimps calling themselves country these days would write stuff like that today.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo