[lbo-talk] June Carter Cash RIP

N P Childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Sat May 17 21:46:46 PDT 2003

Well, okay, sorry to generalize, I was thinking of the stuff that turned up in the last few months, and the willingness of country music stations to trash the Dixie Chicks.

I still stand by my basic point, if a contemporary country artist wrote something like 'Man In Black' they'd be doomed to obscurity (if you can even get recorded), ie, Steve Earle, while if you wave the flag and spout jingoistic crap, you rule air waves.

PC

> > from 1971 and ask yourself if any of the flag
> > waving chimps calling themselves country
> > these days would write stuff like that today.
>
>I don't get it. I've meet a fair number of "flag waving chimps" who
>listen to country music, and it's not unusual for them to adore NIN. Or
>for NIN fans to be "flag waving chimps". I must have seen at least a few
>cars with American flag stickers and "God Bless America" alongside NIN
>stickers.

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo