[lbo-talk] defending democracy from the risk of fascism

Stannard67 at aol.com Stannard67 at aol.com
Sun May 18 07:42:22 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/18/2003 6:15:56 AM Mountain Standard Time, cburford at gn.apc.org writes:

> I usually bite my tongue, writing from England which has many sins,
> including hypocrisy, but I do get a sense that there is a fascist streak in
>
> US society. At least our media were more enquiring about the war.

I agree that there are _incipient_ fascist tendencies in the US. I believe revealing those tendencies and where they come from are liberating acts. I feel the tone here on the part of some may be "don't waste our time explaining social science." But science can be liberating. And there's still enough of the Trotskyist in me to believe that, at some pragmatically limited level, consciousness must precede revolutionary activism.

I am also glad you don't feel smug about living in England. But my partner and I have certainly considered expatriation many times in the last year, and England keeps coming up.

stannard

Your revolution makes me wonder Where could we go If we could drop the empty pursuit of props and the ego --Sarah Jones, "Your Revolution" -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030518/5851d060/attachment.htm>