[lbo-talk] Using the label "fascist"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 18 08:00:06 PDT 2003

"W. Kiernan" wrote:

> Stannard wrote:
> >

> > Of course one should feel threatened---that's a red herring.
> > I'm talking about your argument that it's okay to use
> > inaccurate, unscientific hyperbole because what really
> > matters is manipulating the public to react how we want
> > them to. I'd rather die on my honest feet than score some
> > dishonest political victory.
>
> You can not be serious. You'd rather die than employ one possibly
> overheated epithet. You'd rather that I die than be associated with
> people who use somewhat exaggerated invective. What do you think world
> politics is, a chess game? a logic puzzle? Me, I'd far rather
> exaggerate or even outright lie my way out of the gas chamber, than walk
> in with my head held high.

I don't know whether this Stannard fellow is a fool or a scoundrel, but I and others have posted (at some length) serious criticisms of the indiscriminate use of "fascist" to describe different varieties of police states. And answering such garbage as Stannard spouts out is pointless and does not touch on the main arguments.

Carrol