[lbo-talk] 2004 -- a lost year? (was Re: CW in Matrix)

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon May 19 12:00:41 PDT 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:

> Given what's happening in the immigration field, anyone who thinks there is
> no difference between Dems and GOP just betrays a complete racist
> indifference to the reality of peoples lives these days in those
> communities.

Ouch! Race-baited by Nathan.

I find it ironic that Nathan suggests that there *is* a difference, after Amy Goodman played Malcolm X's "Ballet or the Bullet" speech this morning on Democracy Now. If anybody needs a reminder about how tame the rhetoric of contemporary radicalism is these days, just take a listen to that speech. In case you haven't heard it, Malcolm X spends some of the speech scolding the Democrats and the false promise they held for black Americans at that time.

I'll stand by my argument that there is no difference between the Dems and GOP. I think many people of color would agree with me. Remember that the Clinton administration laid the groundwork for Bush 2. Who passed the Welfar Reform Act? Who presided over more neoliberalism and gentrification in cities? Who tired to put 10,000 more police on the streets and who presided over the militarization of the police?

That was just a short list of what the Democrats gave us during the 90s. Unlike many Americans and quite a few leftists, I have a problem forgetting recent history.

Chuck0