[lbo-talk] Re: [lbo-talk]organ donation

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Mon May 19 16:42:32 PDT 2003

>There are convincing arguments from health care ethicists about why paying
>for organ donation is a bad idea and morally dangerous. You don't even
>have to go economic theory to figure out that as far as health policy
>ideas go, it's completely naff.
>
>The world isn't perfect but turning organ donation into a commercial
>transaction would go a significant way towards making it worse.
>
>PC

How so? The wealthy get moved to the top of the list and the poor get moved to the bottom "most" of the time. You can find examples of some poor person whose life was saved by organ donation but it's just P.R. to keep people in favour of the current system. I used to work in the medical field, trust me, the rich get the organs free of charge in a system heavily weighted in their favour. Fuck'em. Make them pay for the kidney but designate that a specific percentage of organs be given to people whose incomes are below a specific amount. This may not be the ideal way but it sucks a whole lot less than thew current one.

John Thornton