[lbo-talk] During the second Chechen war...

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue May 20 07:45:39 PDT 2003

During the second Chechen war 7 towns including the capital Grozny and several tens of villages WITH THEIR CITIZENS were destroyed. The military used vacuum bombs, chemical and bacteriological weapon, heavy artillery and etc. Mass executions and burning of alive people (in Malye Aldy village 80 civilians were executed, tens of civilians were executes in Staropromyslovsky district of Grozny, Komsomolskoe and Goiskoe villages). This information was presented during the Moscow conference on Chechen problem Nov 19-20, 2000. "Large armed gangs" are defeated, report the military, which means everything that can be destroyed is destroyed, and the gunmen split into small groups and started guerrilla war. As a result the FSB took responsibility for Chechnya, which means that the main method of fighting partisans is mop up operations in villages taking away civilians and torturing them in filtration camps.

According to the data of the Society of the former prisoners of filtration camps, 15 000 people have gone through the camps in Chechnya. Practically nobody leaves the camp in healthy condition. Thus the method of the genocide of Chechens by using arms of mass destruction was replaced by mass torture of the nation. Russian authorities doom 200 000 Chechen refugees living in Ingushetia for starvation, cold and epidemic. According to the data of the humanitarian organizations the refugees haven't received products for two months already, 325 people out of every 1000 are infected with tuberculoses. Poor people are being forced to return to Chechnya. Those lucky who managed to get to Moscow or other Russian regions face other problems. Chechens are denied employment, lodging, children are not allowed to school. They can be detained at any time by the police and taken away to the police station where they are interrogated by the methods used at the time of Stalin repressions.

-- Michael Pugliese

"Without knowing that we knew nothing, we went on talking without listening to each other. Sometimes we flattered and praised each other, understanding that we would be flattered and praised in return. Other times we abused and shouted at each other, as if we were in a madhouse." -Tolstoy