[lbo-talk] organ donation

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Tue May 20 20:55:01 PDT 2003

I wasn't claiming that a market for organs would be good. It would be bad. Less bad than the current system in my opinion. Of course the only sellers would be poor but claiming that the poor would be "just as badly off after they blow that wad" is another way of saying that the poor are too dumb to manage their finances and that may be the reason they're poor. Life sucks if you're poor but organ selling gives the poor one more crappy option (among a long list of crappy options) to use to try to improve their lives and it forces the rich pay for a good they currently receive free. People sell their fucking lives 40 to 60 hours at a time just to have shelter and food. Set a minimum price per organ, have a certain percentage of the organs available "bought" by the state and given freely to individuals below a certain income level. Sure this system will be abused, just like all systems get abused by some individuals with the power to do so. Better chance of getting this system set up in the short term than free health care for all and in all likely hood the grotesque nature of it may accelerate the drive to reform the system for the better in substantial ways. Short of real reform organ selling is the lesser of the two evils between it and the current system in my opinion. I'm always open to persuasive arguments however.

John Thornton