[lbo-talk] Reality Reloaded

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed May 21 07:25:50 PDT 2003

Chuck Grimes:

> >The premise of a sequel has to move to another dimension and begin
> >to question how far into the nested parenthesis of reality and
> >illusion or intersecting dimensions are we at present? The question
> >is no longer how far into this particular illusion can we go,
> >because any illusion in itself has only one level, its own surface
> >labyrinth. What is needed is the intersection with a perpendicular
> >lattice with its own differently constructed labyrinth.

Yoshie:

> _The Matrix Reloaded_ would have made sense if the filmmakers had
> posed the following question clearly: are the premises of _The
> Matrix_ -- the idea that Neo is the One who can save humanity, and
> the mode of resistance to the Matrix is to fight within it by freeing
> one's mind from its "reality principle" -- themselves part of the
> Matrix, a simulacrum of resistance that makes the Matrix work?

After seeing (and being disappointed by) "Reloaded," I thought along similar lines, though it appears that Zion is another level of the Matrix, that the two realities are interdependent for what seems eternity. And of course Neo is a machine and/or program predesigned for Matrix preservation, and who is rebelling against his function (exiting the wrong door, etc). But we must wait for "Revolutions" to know for sure.

Chuck's first post in this thread raised many fine points about the matrix we currently inhabit, and while I initially thought he overstated some arguments, now I'm not too sure, esp after seeing the college kid reactions to Phil Donahue and Chris Hedges, matrix larvae incapable of hearing one word against their owners and masters. As Morpheus says, the Matrix runs so deep in people's lives that they will kill and die to keep it intact. I'm getting the feeling that this becoming more and more the case in our mainstream hardwire, and as the US keeps attacking other countries, head held high in self-righteous glory, the larvae will squiggle happily in their pods.

As for the action in "Reloaded," I got bored after the second kung fu fight. Surely by now Neo doesn't need to punch/block/kick. Morpheus and Trinity, yes, because they lack Neo's powers, but not The One. For example, in the Burly Brawl sequence, why didn't the Wachowskis have Neo rip the Smiths apart? Why does he fight them? With his powers, he needn't even touch them -- just create sonic ripples in the Matrix and sweep them away, or, if he's feeling frisky, tear them to pieces with a wave of the hand, beat them with their own severed legs and arms, or have them whup on each other. Take Neo's power to the next level. Wow us.

Plus, the pacing was shit till the final 45 mins. That's when the narrative kicks back in. After "Reloaded" my daughter and I went home and watched the first film again. Smaller budget, better effects. Crisper pacing. Every scene building to the next. Lighting superior to the sequel. The shoot-'em-up rescue of Morpheus far better than any battle in "Reloaded." I hope "Revolutions" makes up for the soggy middle.

DP