[lbo-talk] Spitzer, deadhead

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 22 17:06:37 PDT 2003

Financial Times - May 22, 2003

OBSERVER: Tie dyed

Is Eliot Spitzer concealing something? The crusading New York attorney-general is dropping hints he may be a "Deadhead" (a fan of the band The Grateful Dead).

Spitzer's rock-music acumen became clear earlier this month when he gave evidence to a Senate committee looking into conflicts of interest on Wall Street. After one senator referred to Pink Floyd's album "The Wall" while discussing investment bank structures, Spitzer said regulators seemed to have been on the "Dark Side of the Moon" - an earlier Pink Floyd recording.

During a New Yorker magazine gathering yesterday, Spitzer expressed relief that the musical metaphors had stopped with Pink Floyd.

"I was glad they didn't refer to The Grateful Dead," Spitzer admitted. "There was a part of me that I didn't want revealed." But he might have noted "what long strange trip" it has been on Wall Street.