[lbo-talk] Green Party 2004

Bob Morris bob at bomoco.com
Fri May 23 09:42:53 PDT 2003

Some info for those who may be interested:

The national Green Party asked a number of people if they would be interested in running for President in 2004.

Ralph Nader said yes. My guess is if he wants the nomination, he will get it. There's no real competition or anyone else with close to the name recognition.

Nader brought his own people in to run his 2000 campaign. They kept the GP at arms length. Why? He considered the GP to be bumbling amateurs. There was no national GP structure to run a Presidential campaign in 2000. And, sadly, there still isn't. The GP allergy to anything remotely resembling a hierarchy makes organizing problematic.

Whether Nader should run, or if the GP should run anyone in 2004 is a matter of serious debate in the GP. This will intensify. Some say Bush must be stopped, period. Others say; run candidates and run them hard.

As an active Green, I'm increasingly finding the GP insistence on consensus and a bottom-up model almost guarantees things can't get done fast and anything even vaguely controversial will never pass.

Sigh.