[lbo-talk] Re:Weird rich people question

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Fri May 23 20:26:55 PDT 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Actually, it is a rather simple logic of distancing onseself from the
> social class right below one's own, with which one can be mistakenly
> identified. Thus, the noveau riche distance themselves from the lower
> class of their origin by aping golden opulence and engaging in
> conspicuous consumption which theier old classmates cannot afford. The
> old rich, by contrast, distance themselves from the noveau riche by
> embracing the insignia of the class from which the noveu riche try to
> distance itself. Examples may include dressing down, espousing a
> communist world view (as some British aristorcats did), conspicuous
> consumption of tasteless (but expensive) organic food, quackery (aka
> "alternative medicine"), pickup trucks, etc.
>
> Wojtek

Wojtek, if you know of any studies to this effect, I'd be interested in seeing them. Several months back on LBO-Talk I quoted some excerpts from a book on late 1800's/early 1900's New England that mentioned display of thrift and frugality as a fad in the 'old money' sector, but haven't seen anything that substantiates the phenomenon your describing for the present.

I can already think of a lot of problems with your speculation. One being that the current faux 'vintage' fad in clothing isn't a phenomenon of old money elites, but cuts across income/class lines. In thinking about such fads I'm always reminded of ANgry Brigade Communique No. 8: "In fashion as in everything else, capitalism can only go backwards -- they've nowhere to go -- they're dead."

Brian