[lbo-talk] Baudrillard: The Violence Of The Global

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri May 23 19:43:56 PDT 2003

Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> crossposted from Baudrillard:

> http://www.ctheory.net/text_file.asp?pick=385
>
> Who can defeat the global system? Certainly not the anti-globalization movement
> whose sole objective is to slow down global deregulation. This movement's
> political impact may well be important. But its symbolic impact is worthless.

News flash: we're not anti-globo, we're the global justice movement.

> The passage from the universal to the global has given rise to a constant
> homogenization, but also to an endless fragmentation.

Really? Has he asked the Chinese workers getting paid pennies a day to suck toxic fumes for Nike's latest gear?

> The establishment of a global system is the result of an intense jealousy.

Baudrillard is sort of the George Gilder of France, only without the long position in Qualcomm. Or maybe the Merovingian is a better metaphor.

-- DRR