[lbo-talk] Anti-Semitism, right here at home (Israel)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sat May 24 03:43:26 PDT 2003

Me again. I wrote:

Russia itself has actually surprised me by its lack of anti-Semitism, given its reputation. Maybe this is because so many Jews have left? Or because Russian anti-Semitism was exaggerated during the Cold War era? I dunno. But I have never heard anyone badmouth Jews, while people slam the chyorniye (blacks, i.e., Caucasians) all the time, and pretty openly too. Russia has a hell of a lot of racism, but there's just not very much anti-Semitism outside of a few fringe groups. --- And I add: What's interesting is that when Russians who are over 30 or so (i.e. were educated in the USSR) make racist comments, they usually back up and add a caveat: "Of course, I don't hate ALL Caucasians. I mean the people in the markets, gangsters, terrorists, etc." This is because expressing racist sentiments in the Soviet Union was a major taboo.

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail