[lbo-talk] A Proposal: PRE-EMPTIVE PEACE AS OPPOSED TO PRE-EMPTIVE WAR

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 18:25:32 PDT 2003

An international tribunal to examine and bring to light the crimes of the US and its accomplices is something I expected eventually. Perhaps in 2025 or some other future date when a financially and spiritually exhausted America is forced to throw in the towel.

No time like the present however. A Middle Eastern setting also seems appropriate.

The value in the enterprise is clear. A word of caution: the goal, as I understand it, is to present evidence and hold the leadership of the US/UK responsible for the foreseeable causes of the aggression they’ve unleashed and, to deter future aggression by revealing the facts. As important as this is, it will, I can guarantee, be mis-interpreted by large segments of the American population (I can’t predict UK reactions).

For many, this will be seen as the work of agitators, terrorist sympathizers or, at best, the misguided and naïve. The catch-all hyphenated word, ‘anti-American’ will be used often as a blanket comdemnation of the entire effort. The major media outlets, following the lead of the US government, will have wild sport with the meeting, or, ignore it altogether.

Outside of activist circles, there will be little sympathy. This is a significant problem, because the only real deterent (aside from another nation having nuclear carrier battle groups) to future aggression will be the rock-solid opposition of the American populace to US actions abroad. At this moment, due to fear of terrorism and an unfocused love-of-country, most Americans apparently see no need for such opposition.

It should be done of course (the process must start somehow) but you should be aware of the potential effect upon the American populace – the group that must really be reached.