[lbo-talk] re: Tatu

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Sun May 25 05:29:06 PDT 2003

On 25/5/2003 6:36 PM, "lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org" <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> wrote:

> At 09:16 AM 05/24/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>> The wrap up on SBS World News, which is supposed to be a very serious news
>> channel, was that their lesbian act was a gimmick that might scandalise the
>> Eurovision Song Contest. I nearly pissed myself laughing.
>
> This pisses me off. We've had fifty years of men gyrating, eating out their
> guitars, etc., and now here are these two cuties doing their lesbo Lolita
> number and everyone is sacandalized? Say what?
>
> Joanna

That was the spin, which I thought was funny because the Eurovision Song Contest is so unbelievably silly. The weird innuendo, given the way the story was structured, is that it would have geopolitical implications!

I just saw Tatu on Eurovision. They wore jeans and T-shirts and looked and behaved like normal people. Their song was catchy. They didn't look like botox golems. In the weird world of Eurovision, I suppose that really is a scandal.

Thiago