[lbo-talk] tATu on TV in OZ.....

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Sun May 25 22:26:55 PDT 2003

--Baltic Republics probably aren't too crazy about Russian for historical reasons. On top of the machinations of empre, Russian, Soviet and Hitler-Stalin Pact, the Baltics were a favored place for Russian military officers to retire. Latvia for instance is well over 60% Russian, and Russians tended not to learn the local language.

This does not explain how supposedly democratic post-Soviet nationality laws got so hostile toward Russians but there were certainly moves to make the local language the official language and to require knowledge of that language for citizenship.

None of that explains why anyone thinks Riga is a shitty city, but I think it's more run-down, more Soviet to begin with that, say Tallinn,.

--As for saying "govno" on television, I haven't heard that, but Putin's "go get circumcised" comment didn't exactly get bleeped!

DC