[lbo-talk] Re: Nye on empire

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Tue May 27 05:37:05 PDT 2003

Gitchee Gumee wrote:

> Is there (or can there be, anywhere), a ëpoliticalí system, anywhere on
> Earth,
>
> either at present, or, at any time in the past - really, has there ever
> been,anywhere
> on this planet - a ëpolitical' system which is not necessarily based and
> predicated
> upon, an economic underpinning by which, as humans, we obtain and
> provide
> our own physical survival?

No question that the framers of the U.S. constitution were mindful of their economic interests. And probably, comes the revolution, a new constitution would be drawn up by the new holders of power, similarly mindful of their economic interests, if they determined that the present one was no longer suitable.

Meanwhile, we have to do the best we can to solve the problems of our society given the political tools we have. I fail to see how complaining about the events of 1789 or thereabouts is much of a help, but, as they say, it's a free country (courtesy of the First Amendment), so everyone is entitled to complain about whatever they want. :-)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ "Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -- Groucho