[lbo-talk] pledge protection!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 28 10:56:37 PDT 2003

[the latest piece of idiocy from the American Family Association]

AFA Action Alert!

Your support is needed for H.R. 2028 - The Pledge Protection Act of 2003

"It will rein in a renegade judiciary that has confused the freedom for religion with freedom from religion. Preventing children from saying 'under God' is nothing less than coercion, and Congress needs to act to defend this essential matter of religious liberty and freedom of speech." - Rep. Todd Akin

I have good news but <http://capwiz.com/afanet/issues/alert/?alertid=2316076&type=COyour> action is urgently needed. With the support of the Republican leadership in the House and 154 co-sponsors, Rep. Todd Akin of Missouri has introduced the <http://capwiz.com/afanet/issues/bills/?bill=2316071Pledge> Protection Act of 2003, which defends the constitutionality of the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance by restricting the jurisdiction of lower federal courts from ruling on the pledge.

We were all outraged by the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court's ruling in a California case that struck down the Pledge of Allegiance as unconstitutional due to the phrase "under God." The Pledge Protection Act of 2003 would simply remove the Pledge from the jurisdiction of the federal courts. Article 3, Section 2 of the Constitution grants Congress the authority to exempt specific matters from judicial review.

"By exercising the authority of Congress to regulate the jurisdiction of federal courts, the <http://capwiz.com/afanet/issues/bills/?bill=2316071Pledge> Protection Act will do more than express a sense of Congress that the Pledge is constitutional," said Congressman Akin. "It will rein in a renegade judiciary that has confused the freedom for religion with freedom from religion. Preventing children from saying 'under God' is nothing less than coercion, and Congress needs to act to defend this essential matter of religious liberty and freedom of speech."

It is urgent that we stand by our children's right to recite The Pledge of Allegiance by contacting our member of Congress today in support of <http://capwiz.com/afanet/issues/bills/?bill=2316071H.R.> 2028 - The Pledge Protection Act of 2003. If he or she is already a co-sponsor, take this opportunity to say thanks. Click on the link below and enter your zip code to locate your member of Congress.