[lbo-talk] decentralization, Whole Foods style

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Wed May 28 12:29:39 PDT 2003

pretty much what whole foods is counting on. it's kinda like a guy who dismisses his failure to do 50% of the house and yard work by pointing to the guy in the wife beater tee shirt and saying, "Hey, at least you don't have to put up with that." as if, somehow, you're supposed to be grateful because he's not a complete sphincter monkey.

aside from that, i think the point was that Whole Foods supposedly prides itself on offering what the other outfits don't offer and that is, supposedly, some sort of caring concern about the environment and such. while they can see that we're all "connected" in terms of environmental issues, there's a disjuncture between "them" the great unwashed who want and believe in unions and the power of unions to "connect" us.

they are anti-union in a covert, insidious way and it's that much harder to get at and fight.

personally, this is what i would expect from Whole Foods. Ithaca was full of this kind of snarky inability to link their pet "progressive" "green" concerns with more traditional workers' issues.