[lbo-talk] Green Party 2004

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 28 14:08:25 PDT 2003

Shane Taylor quoted Murray Bookchin:

>direct libertarian democracy

I think Bookchin also believes that any jurisdiction too large to allow face-to-face contact is verboten. That sounds like an impossible constraint to me unless you want a hunter-gatherer economy to go with it. Why direct? Maybe I'm completely ruined by my capitalist upbringing, but I don't really want to decide everything in a town-hall style gathering. I'm perfectly happy to elect representatives so I can go on with the rest of my life. Does anyone else here share this fetish of directness?

Doug