[lbo-talk] Green Party 2004

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed May 28 16:10:49 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Shane Taylor quoted Murray Bookchin:
>
>> direct libertarian democracy
>

> I think Bookchin also believes that any jurisdiction too large to allow
> face-to-face contact is verboten. That sounds like an impossible
> constraint to me unless you want a hunter-gatherer economy to go with
> it. Why direct? Maybe I'm completely ruined by my capitalist upbringing,
> but I don't really want to decide everything in a town-hall style
> gathering. I'm perfectly happy to elect representatives so I can go on
> with the rest of my life. Does anyone else here share this fetish of
> directness?

Yes and no. Representatives can be a form of direct democracy as long as they are instantly recallable. In other words, electing people to office is verboten.

"Hey Bob, tell the folks in the other town that we want to release some water from the dam. Find out from them when a good time would be."

Chuck0