[lbo-talk] Re: consensus-direct-representative democracy etc

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Wed May 28 17:30:03 PDT 2003

"I'm perfectly happy to elect representatives so I can go on with the rest of my life. Does anyone else here share this fetish of directness?"

the larger the group gets, the more ridiculous the direct demo fixation becomes...except that this (internet) and other electronic forms do make it possible to have something approaching a democracy that involves far more people, and far more quickly...that could serve to make a large group smaller, for purposes of communication, debate and decision making...it already has, in many cases...

but some folks still crave endless meetings to frame decisions taken by a minority and call it democracy...which is as tyrannical as some forms of consensus, which simply mean coercing a minority to shut up and move on , lest the group be alienated...

this is a vote for representative democracy, until we develop something better.. fs