[lbo-talk] Wolfowitz: WMD story only a bureaucratic convenience

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed May 28 18:31:34 PDT 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Reuters was quoted quoting Wolfowitz saying:

> Wolfowitz said another reason for the invasion had been "almost
> unnoticed but huge" -- namely that the ousting of Saddam would allow the
> United States to remove its troops from Saudi Arabia, where their
> presence had long been a major al Qaeda grievance.
>
> "Just lifting that burden from the Saudis is itself going to open the
> door" to a more peaceful Middle East, Wolfowitz was quoted as saying.

There's only one problem with that argument -- we could have removed the troops without the war. All the war proved was that troops in Saudi Arabia were useless because they were politically impossible to use. If removing them was huge, then we were hugely stupid not to have removed them earlier.

Which we were.

God this guy is stupid. It's hard to believe he's supposed to be the smart one. Is that what McNamara looked like from the outside in the 60s?

Michael