[lbo-talk] Green Party 2004

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed May 28 18:34:05 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood asked:
> I think Bookchin also believes that any jurisdiction too
> large to allow face-to-face contact is verboten. That
> sounds like an impossible constraint to me unless you
> want a hunter-gatherer economy to go with it. Why
> direct? Maybe I'm completely ruined by my capitalist
> upbringing, but I don't really want to decide everything
> in a town-hall style gathering. I'm perfectly happy to
> elect representatives so I can go on with the rest of my
> life. Does anyone else here share this fetish of
> directness?

Nope. That's also a fetish of Participatory Economics, isn't it?

I fwd'd the excerpt, and originally saved it, because his lucid take on consensus fits with nearly every experience I've had with the process. Specifically telling was the point about how a captious minority can block a majority decision.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!