[lbo-talk] John Halle's "Mortgaging the Earth"

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu May 29 03:01:39 PDT 2003

A couple of weeks ago, John Halle offered a CD of his music for $25 in order to raise money for a live performance of this piece. I just want to offer a testimonial that this CD would be worth $25 even if if wasn't going to a good cause. IMHO, "Mortgaging the Earth" is a brilliant piece. If you are the kind of person who likes alternative classical music (Bang On A Can, Kronos, that sort of thing), as well as having the interests in culture and politics suggested by membership on this list, I think you'll be totally satisfied. The title song alone, in conjunction with the libretto, provided me with exactly the kind of Aha experience I hope for when I shell out $25 to go to one of these kinds of concerts. And there's 8 more cuts as well.

If you are even slightly tempted, but need more coaxing, write me offlist and I will be glad to expatiate more precisely about its virtues. I think succeeds in surprising ways, both as a piece of music and as a text setting.

Michael