[lbo-talk] Profiles In Spinelessness

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu May 29 07:27:25 PDT 2003

I don't always agree with Ms. Huffington, but she is spot on here!

I see more and more commentaries comparing the current spot the Democratic Party is in to the powerlessness of the Republican Party in '64, after the defeat of Goldwater. They were beaten down so badly that they either had to reorganize themselves and find a new direction or close up shop.

It sickens me to think this, but Bush will probably be re-elected handily next year due to the Dems being unable to mount any effective opposition, and the talk of Rove and company that 2004 will be one of those epoch-making elections that establishes the political reality for many years may well be true. If so, this might be the shock that finally causes the Democrats to recognize reality.

Another historical parallel might be the Republican domination of politics in the 1920s, which appeared to doom the Democrats, until the national disaster of the depression brought them back. I don't think 2004 will be the new 1932, because the economic situation won't be bad enough by next year, and I don't see any FDR among the current roster of Dem candidates, to say the least. But it might be the new 1928.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org ________________________________ How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy. -- Nietzsche