[lbo-talk] decentralization, Whole Foods style

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Thu May 29 13:16:44 PDT 2003

At 03:56 PM 5/29/03 -0400, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

><http://www.wholeworkersunite.org/ask/index.php?qid=1&frommostpopular=yes>
>*****
>
>Until a union-organized boycott is called, Wojtek can stock up on Euro
>imports at Whole Foods with clear conscience.

In general, I don't think boycotting is a worthy expenditure of time or money. Not the way we do it currently. Were they more like those actions taken in the 1700-1800s, feminist labor historian's name i can't recall, it'd be another story.

At any rate, if it is worth it at all, I agree that it ought to be done when the employees trying to unionize call for such an action. Nonetheless, I don't think it's at all in the spirit of what the WF workers are calling for when someone provides arguments that support WF's anti-union policies. It doesn't seem very pro-worker, to me, to suggest that we should be grateful that WF exists because it's better than Walmart in terms of its consumer offerings or anti-unionism.

But hey, maybe you might want to write a note to WF workers explaining that the anti-union tactics they've been dealing with are not as bad as those used at Walmart.

Kelley