[lbo-talk] Profiles In Spinelessness

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu May 29 17:21:36 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----

From: Doug Henwood

To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 9:40 AM

Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Profiles In Spinelessness

Nathan Newman wrote:

>What an encouraging comparison! That was the period when the Republicans

>did probably their greatest upsurge of organizing, building institutions

>like Young Americans for Freedom and other "New Right" groups that laid the

>groundwork for taking over the Republican Party completely and shifting

>national politics signficantly to the Right.

I'm coming around to Nathan's argument that "progressives" should run

in Dem primaries and in general try to hijack the party, just as the

right did with the Republicans.

nice try, doug, but no cigar.

just as the right did with the democrats, you mean? what do you think the point of the DLC is? and it's rise after the McGovern debacle. people must bear in mind, the DLC simply will not lie down and roll over for a resurgence of liberalism in the democratic party, no matter what shape it takes. these guys are crypto republicans.

i think it's pure foolishness to even imagine the left could "recapture" the dems, no matter what they do or how many candidates they run. it's been tried before and failed. the issue is money, campaign financing. as long as the big money backs the crypto republican in the democratic party, there's no point wasting time with that party.

the dems use show "liberals" to gull the foolish into believing there's some hope, and that liberals have some impact in that party. dem liberals are the bones the DLC thows to a foolish and beguiled public. meanwhile, it's business as usual

"what's to loose?" is the time, energy and money people could use creating a viable third party alternative. and a lot of demoralized people discovering the dems are a closed shop and a lost cause. didn't anyone learn from the high initial expectations leading to disappointment and disillusionment and greater alienation with clinton/gore? the dismal showing at the last off year election exemplifies that.

What's to lose? The Greens seem more

& more like a doomed fantasy.

Doug

so what's your suggestion for a third party, doug?