[lbo-talk] Japanese banks hemorrhage

BrownBingb at aol.com BrownBingb at aol.com
Thu May 29 18:14:49 PDT 2003

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

>Charles: That would be 60 billion for our side, wouldn't it ? (
>small businesses are with us when the rev comes )

You've got to be kidding. Small biz, at least in the U.S., is a deeply reactionary force, anti-union, anti-minimum wage, anti-regulation, you name it. Where did you get this idea?

Doug

^^^^^^^^^^ CB: There's a certain level at which our statements do not completely contradict, since I said "come the rev", and we don't seem to be in the rev in the U.S. today; and do the Japanese banks loan mostly to Japanese small businesses ( but maybe the Japanese petit bourgeoisie are deeply reactionary too ) ?

I had my tongue in my cheek a little. At least you didn't mention that one old revolutionary fogy talked about the small producers reproducing capitalism constantly in the early Soviet Union. Down with the Kulaks !

Anyway, this is a joke on the old idea that the petit bourgeoisie are a vacillating sector between the two main classes, and that when the working class gets the upper hand, the approach will be to win the p.b. to the side of the w.c. As I say, "come the rev" is an important qualifier. You certainly could criticize me for wishful thinking and tomfoolery here.

What is our attitude to big banks suffering big losses , anyway ?